- Population: 454,863 residents (2005)
- Area Code: (504)
- Tax: 13% tax + $1.00 - $3.00 Occupancy Fee on hotel rooms depending on the size of the hotel, 9.75% sales tax on purchases
- Time Zone: Central Standard Time (CST)
- Avgerage daily temperature: Jan- 51.3° F (10.72° C); June - 81.9° F (27.72° C)
- Credit Cards and Charge Cards are widely accepted. Some centrally located ATMs in New Orleans are at the First National Bank of Commerce, 240 Royal St., Hibernia National Bank, 701 Poydras St., and Whitney National Bank, 228 St. Charles Ave
Airport Transportation: Taxicabs: Cab rides cost approximately $28.00 from the airport to the Central Business District (CBD) for one or two passengers, and an additional $12.00 for additional passengers. Taxicab pick-up is on the lower level of the airport, outside the baggage claim area. The $28.00 does not include the $1.00 airport fuel surcharge.
Airport Shuttle:Shuttle service is available from the airport to the hotels in the Central Business District (CBD) for $15.00 (per person, one-way) or $30.00 (per person, round-trip), with a maximum of three bags per person. Please call 1-866-596-2699 or (504) 522-3500 for more details or to make a reservation. Advance reservations are required 48 hours prior to travel for all ADA accessible transfers. Ticket booths are located on the lower level in the baggage claim area.
Streetcars - RTA is fully operating its #2 Riverfront Streetcar line (runs from French Market Riverfront stop at Esplanade to the Convention Center) and its full #45 Canal Streetcar line (runs the full length of Canal Street to the Cemeteries terminal, also including the Carrollton Spur). Both lines run 7 days per week from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. The streetcars, because of their historic designation under ADA, are not accessible to the disabled.
New Orleans Bus Routes: This service requires 61 buses during peak hours on weekdays, 51 during the midday, 36 buses on Saturdays, 32 buses on Sundays, and 5 streetcars every day of the week. Local fare is $1.25 per ride, or you can purchase an one-day unlimated VisiTour Pass for $5.00, or a three-day unlimited VisiTour Pass for $12.00.
Intercity Transit (LA SWIFT)- LA Swift provides transportation to and from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. The current fare is $6.00 cash per one-way trip, which must be paid prior to boarding. The fare is not dependant on which stops you board and exit.
Tipping is expected in cafes, restaurants, bars and spas. The going rate in restaurants is 15% - 20% or more of the bill; never tip in a fast-food or self-service environment.
Additional suggested tipping amounts:
- Porters and bellboys anticipate around $1 - $2 per piece of luggage.
- Valet Parking: $2.00-$3.00 to attendant.
- Housekeeping Services: $2.00 - $3.00 /day
- Taxi/Towncar: 15% of total
- Concierge Services: $5.00 +